Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She isn't herself she has thrown up quiet a bit the last few

Customer Question

She isn't herself she has thrown up quiet a bit the last few days she is having trouble keeping even liquids down, her poop is green.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I'm not sure, she usually goes to work with my husband, she tries to drink but is having a hard time keeping it down, she hasn't ate to my knowledge but she is up walking around
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kyper and she is about 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kyper?
Customer: When we got her I'm not sure if she has had all her shots. But other than that I don't think so .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she lethargic? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Does she have diarrhea? 4- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. Just slightly more than usual.
2. About 5 pounds
3. No signs of diarrhea, she just has a green tint to her poop and it stinks. But just slightly more stinky than normal poop
4. She started piling yesterday.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4. Puking*
1- How long since the last time she vomited? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. And 30 minutes ago.
2. No, I did give her some amoxicillin 250 for toddlers that my son had left over and she was able to keep that down.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok , I'm also trying to keep her hydrated with pedialyte.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The green color in the stool is a sign of the intestines being overactive.In this case, the fact that she has been vomiting so much it will be difficult to keep or get her hydrated giving fluids orally. She needs to have IV fluids as supportive care. In addition, she will need some testing like xrays, blood work and fecal analysis to determine the exact underlying cause for the vomiting. Strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water or pedialyte. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue to give her small amounts of water every hour. Then, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care in the morning. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.