Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My six pound Maltese was spayed today and rimidyl was used

Customer Question

My six pound Maltese was spayed today and rimidyl was used for pain. She now has diarrhea and will not drink or lick ice cubes. Could it be from rimidyl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting? 2- Was she on IV fluids? 3- Is she eating?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I heard them say she vomited while at the vets but not since returning home. No I've fluids. Won't drink and ate two tiny bites of chicken breast.
1- Is she lethargic? 2- Besides rimadyl is she on any other medications? 3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 4- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She was given 50mg/ml(post op) estimated to be about 10:30 am central standard time.
1- Is she lethargic? 2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is not very active but not completely out of it wants me to be right with her. Gums are fine. Good and pink. Ear temp is 99.6 and her normal is 100.2. No other medications.
Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I be concerned about the rimidyl. Is it the cause of her diarrhea? I worry about kidney damage!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have a rectal thermometer.
Friend, rimadyl is very well tolerated post surgery. Can it cause diarrhea? Yes. But, there could be other causes for the diarrhea; the stress of the surgery itself, antibiotics, etc. I would not worry about kidney damage and rimadyl. Keep an eye on her for the night. Change her diet to rice and boiled boneless chicken, this will help with the diarrhea. Do not give imodium or pepto bismol. If she is not better in the morning have her re-checked by family veterinarian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.