Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Is this going to cost me a fee? JA: I'll do all I can to

Customer Question

Is this going to cost me a fee?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My neighbors dog came to live with me because his mother in law didn't want the dog there. She is a pit bull and husky mix. She was very happy to be with my dog. In fact, she would sit looking through the fence wanting to play. I've had her for about 3 to 4 months. She is about 2 years old. She's had 2 heats since I had her and I looked it up online. She is a good eater and both dogs love the food I give them. I did change to Purina One and I have been putting some all natural vita gravy for hip and joint on it since they are both bigger dogs. They both have been eating the food for about 2 months. My dog Ginger eats fast, and neighbors's dog Moka is a bit slower so I feed them in separate areas with a door closed until she is done. That food was suggested to me due to the shedding and condition of the coat. Now her coat is amazingly soft. She did have a problem when she was still next door with something that made her bite at herself on the back of her legs and she was sore and lost hair. They took her to the vet and he told them to bathe her often and had them put something on it. When she came here it was pretty much gone. Now it is completely filled in and great condition. The dogs play vigorously and Moka is the instigator much of the time. I try not to let either dog take a toy or bone from the other. they come visit her and take her for walks, and the first few times, she stayed by the door and pawed at the door when they left. She is a bit sad for the rest of the night but better the next day. She got out of the yard a couple weeks ago and came back to my house after a brief encounter with them. She doesn't get so sad after they leave anymore. Monday night she seemed a little less energetic and sad and a little less playful but ate as usual during the day. I feed her about 2 cups per day and her weight seems not to have changed. Yesterday she didn't want to eat but play very little. I gave her the food and she would only eat from my hand. Later she just looked at it so I gave her some bread, then toast with a little butter so not to be too dry. She ate the bread and some cheese and drank some water. I thought maybe she missed her owners, so I had them take her for a walk. They said she ran around the park. When she got back, she just layed down like she had been doing. She would only drink the water if I put my finger in it and put it on her lips. She ate a little toast and a little more cheese and almost fought with my dog when a piece of cheese fell on the floor and they both went for it. This morning she seemed a little more perky, but she still won't eat, not even from my hand, not the bread or toast, not cheese. I have boiled a couple eggs and going to see if she will eat some. I even tried a little milk and tried some water, but she just walked away from it. She also turned her head when I tried to give her the toast that she ate so well yesterday. She has not vomited and she did go outside but I don't know about her stool. She is sleeping a lot. She did try to play a little with my dog. she wouldn't even eat a fresh new bone with good bits still on it. I had to put a couple bites of bread or cheese in her mouth, but she just pushed it out. I'm waiting for the eggs to cool. She hasn't drank much water today. I told her owners they might have to take her to the vet, but I thought maybe I should wait until tomorrow to see if she has progressed and the take her if she isn't any better. I don't know about her vaccines. She is really a sweet affectionate dog and very sweet with my 4 year old grandson. She wasn't very well socialized until she came to live with me because she had to spend her time outside always. Now she is in the house with my dog and loves to greet everyone who comes over and especially loves my grandson. There was a little boy where she lived. If she won't eat the eggs, should I have them take her to the vet tonight? or wait till tomorrow to see if she is better, maybe the flu? I am watching her closely, especially since I don't consider her to be my dog. I would hate for something to happen to her at all much less at my house. When they told me they were going to have to give her away, I immediately told them Iwould take her. I'm the only one she would come to at the fence. Otherwise she would just run away if someone else tried to pet her through the fence. They have trusted me with their dog. I just love her and she and she really loves my dog, can't stay away from her. I have been slowly training her and they can see the progress, so I don't just let her run the house. She has had a problem with chewing but she has been doing a lot better unless she got ahold of something I'm not aware of. She doesn't pee in the house. My dog trained her, so she only had 2 accidents. I know that's a lot of info, but I want to be sure you have all the circumstances. She does perk up if my dog barks.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No. I will look.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: Ginger is my dog. Moka is the neighbors dog. Which one are you asking about?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is really scaring me for her to be so quiet, not playing and causing a ruckus. I'm worried for her. A long time ago, my dog went through something similar. I thought it was the food so I took it back. She didn't want the new bag either. After a day or two, she was back to normal; but I've only had Moka here with me for a few months, so I'm not fully familiar with her. I do know this is not normal for her behavior to be laying down so much without eating. My dog is very intuitive and knows Moka is not feeling well, so she hasn't been bothering her. In fact, my dog Ginger, is like that whenever I don't feel well or someone else has some type of injury. She is a rescue. Ginger is pit bull mix and looks like some type of hound, because she is very lean and long. Moka, neighbors's dog, is pit bull and husky mix. She is the only one that came out looking like a husky but with a more stub snout rather than pointed like a husky. I had a husky some years ago. Her tail is short and her hair , although longer than a pit, is much shorter than a husky's would be normally not mixed. Her temperament is wonderful. I have loved her from the time I first say her peering through the fence and reaching for my dog. She has trusted only me for a long time and barely started to warm up to others in my yard. Now that she is in the house, she wants to be a part of everything. She gets very attached and like to have body contact, but she is lacking in manners since she did not have training being outside all the time. I am working on that. I am going to try to give her some of the boiled egg now and I will let you know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, that didn't go so well. I mixed a little milk with the egg so it wouldn't be so dry. She smelled it and turned her head. I even tried to get her to eat from my hand, but she wouldn't. I got some on my finger and put it on her mouth and she just licked it off her mouth and wanted to get up and away. She just wants to lay down. She does get up and act a little curious about what's going on, which is better than yesterday. Her eyes seems a little more clear today, but she just doesn't want to eat, anything.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had my roommate check outside to see if there was any stool that didn't look right. He said he can tell the difference between Moka and Ginger's stool, because Ginger is a larger dog. What he did find was a dead rat and a piece of a fish carcas. I know the dogs have caught rats before, and Moka ate one that I saw. This rat doesn't appear to be chewed. If there is a fish carcas, someone had to have thrown it over the fence. It did occur to me that even if she hasn't been chewing house items, that doesn't mean she didn't get something from someone else. There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood that sometimes like to taunt the dogs in the yards. I wouldn't be surprised. That would be the only thing that there would be out of the norm. Of course I don't know what, if anything, was on the fish and if the rat had been poisoned.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, Moka just threw up finally. It was just bile, because she didn't have anything to eat. She heard Ginger bark out in the yard and perked up and barked too. She finally put her ears up, so it seems that it was her tummy. I did try to get her to drink some water, but she still doesn't want any. I put some on my finger and dabbed it onto her mouth, but she kept turning away. She does look a bit better in her face and eyes since she vomited. I can relate! lol
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. How is Moka doing today? Is she back to normal? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I didn't get an answer, I insisted they take her to the vet. They took blood but now 2 days later and they still haven't called with lab info. So Moka died overnight. You all took too long. I tried to get her help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Shame one you. Now we have lost one of the sweetest loving dog. Even though she wasn't mine, I have loved her since I saw her peering through the fence. My 4 year old grandson has become very attached, because she was so loving and tolerant and sweet with him. He would be devastated if he knew she died, and I don't think he is mentally prepared, at his young innocent age, to deal with the death of such a special companion. We are going to have to tell him that the neighbors took Moka with them to their aunts house while they are there caring for his ailing aunt. Otherwise, I'm am afraid of the trauma he will suffer if he has to be forced to feel such a huge devastation before he is mature enough. I am not dealing with it very well. She wasn't ours, but I loved her so much that I couldn't bare the thought of the neighbors having to give her away and I would not see her anymore. That's why I offered to take her in, and they trusted me to keep her safe. I am traumatized by the fact that something happened to her while she was here and that I couldn't keep her safe. I had to take a tranquilizer and have someone else take care of all the unpleasant things that happen when pet dies in your home. I can't chance his young mind being put through an adult experience, and that he will never see her again. DON'T EVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN!
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry to hear of the outcome of this situation.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This should have been addressed by the vet it was referred to. As I understand it, you just happened to notice I didn't get a reply, so it falls on the shoulders of those before you who were on active duty and the person who was responsible for referring my question to a vet. I would think that there would be much more of a response to the outcome of something that was reliant on their actions or reactions and that they completely dropped the ball. I am a retired fire fighter due to an injury on the job. In my career, it was crucial for me to act appropriately to the level of the situation at hand at consider the potential outcome to be prepared to act in case that should occur. Medical and fire are both entities that cal be trained for in the basics, but they don't follow a set course. They are apt to change at any given moment; and for the outcome to be positive, each person must learn to think ahead as to the possibilities and be prepared to switch gears and apply the appropriate action regardless of what basic textbook training they have. Basics are necessary, and they are to be used as a starting point to evaluate the specific situation and change direction as dictated by the answers to the questions whether verbal or based on examination. I gave very specific answers and while I was waiting, I read the information on your site so I could understand what the doctors needed to know to assist in finding the answers to the right course of treatment. I am not one to take a short cut or avoid something because it may be unpleasant. I dealt with countless unpleasant things in my career, and i know it is critical to have the ability to "switch gears" to action mode in order to be useful and not panic or absorb the severity of the moment. The thing is.... the doctors need to be just as aware, if not more, when what appears to be a cut and dry situation is not and when a situation is more serious or may potentially evolve into something more serious and be prepared for that possibility. I worked with new people who had not been taken in by their partner and taught how to consider the initial call we were being sent to and how that could change in a moment, so it was necessary to take in the equipment that may be potentially needed so as not to waste limited time should the situation become even more serious. The fact that Moka was not eating and was very low, not anything like her personality, that in itself should be a clue. I kept trying different things based upon the information on your site and giving a report as to whether or not each thing was doing any good. In my career, when doing inspection, business owners would complain that some of the things we brought up as violations were never a problem before. The answer to that is that procedures and requirements change once something happens or someone gets harmed; because until that time, there wasn't anything to indicate that issue was a problem. You are facing a moment when change is indicated, because a special animal died that did not need to, since there was no attention paid to the case. I would have thought that with the numerous entries I was making after doing everything mentioned in the article, it would somehow have signaled that there was an entry or brought to the top of the list with the new information. Moka suffered for 3 days while I was waiting for not only a response from your site, but also the vet hospital where they took her. Blood was drawn, but there was no contact made for 2 days more, which was after she died. If they too had paid attention, she would have been treated immediately and agressively; and at least there may have been a chance. But with nothing and no one paying attention, there was absolutely no chance. According to what I read, bacterial infection, or blood infection, could have been in her system for some time but not shown any signs or symptoms until the ammune system could no longer fight it. But when the signs and symptoms did surface, time was critical. It said that some animals can actually fight off the infection without treatment and no one would have ever know they had it. Moka was a healthy dog. She was very active playing with my dog constantly to a point where my dog, Ginger, would get irritated sometimes when Moka wouldn't quit bugging Ginger. Ginger was pretty active too, but being a little older, she liked to rest a little more than Moka. Moka was very funny; and after living with me, she was progressing nicely. She was much better socialized, her manners got better, she did not potty in the house but only 2 times since she followed Ginger whenever she went outside, and she wasn't chewing on things that didn't belong to her. That was only a short time I had her, but I was attached to her for a long time when she peered through the fence wanting to play with Ginger. With some direction and immediate testing, not waiting for 2 days, Moka would still be with us, I'm sure.