Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My miniature foxterrier is 13 yrs old and two months ago

Customer Question

Hi My miniature foxterrier is 13 yrs old and two months ago went on vetmedin caps and diurin for her congestive heart failure. The night prior to the vet diagnosis my dog went all stiff in hind leg and semed to havesome sort of episode. The vet only treated her heart though, but since then has had two other episodes, last night i clearly saw her get up suddenly worried, lieg all funny, then when she tried to walk one hing leg temorarily paralised buckled over and she wobbled/dragged to her bed, wimpered like she was worried but not in great pain, sat quietly for five minutes, then jumped up, walked wide behind for three steps then has been normal since. I believe she has now had four episodes similar to this....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Well she was xrayed couple weeks ago and had short course of steriods in case her wee cough was related to something else other than her heart/lungs. The first night she was on the steriods was her worst epsidode at 2am and i thought she was going to die, but it only lasted half and hour, but this worst episode at 2am also involved lots more of face pulling and more panting and a few yelps not just wimpers, i thought she was having a heart attack
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok :-)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I believe the sudden onset and remission of this behavior is most consistent with complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures)which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and are associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these event and for just what you witnessed. Her vet vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if your miniature foxterrier should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of a pirior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cancel my request, didnt realise this was a monthly charge, how do i cancel after putting in my visa details, thought it was a one off fee! :-(
It's not a monthly charge unless you sign up for that service. Please contact***@******.*** for more information.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i want to make sure you are not going to charge my card now...it only gave me choices of monthly subscriptions after i put my details in ....
Please contact***@******.*** with your concerns. I'm not privy to the financial obligation to the site of my customers. You can always return to our conversation at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.