Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 5 month old dachshund was just spayed a week ago today,

Customer Question

My 5 month old dachshund was just spayed a week ago today, and now all of a sudden today I see sagging skin behind her front legs that seems to have fluid in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She had her dew claws removed also, one got infected so she is on antibiotics
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Kona
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kona?
Customer: I believe that is it....both of her stiches came out of her dew claws last weekend so we called the vet he said he wouldn't put her back under to put stiches back in so for us to give her benadryl and put antibiotic cream on them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear Kona has this new finding postoperatively. It is highly unusual to have increased fluid in this area after a spay surgery or dewclaw removal. How is she acting? Is she eating/ drinking and wanting to be active? Are her gums nice and pink?I would strongly urge a veterinary exam within the next 24 hours as a precaution. This should be considered a postoperative exam and no charge to you unless medications are dispensed so I would want to make sure she wasn't having a postoperative complication that requires further treatmentI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes she is eating, drinking, playing around. Her gums look pretty and pink
OK great. Well you can try some warm compresses overnight on the area and see if it subsides. Take a photo tonight regardless if you are able as well as measuring the circumference of her chest area which you can compare in the morning. I would feel a lot better having your vet evaluate this because it is not a typical postoperative change