Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Eye injury

Customer Question

eye injury
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry your pet has an eye injury. Can you please give me a bit of history, for example your dog's age, sex, how the injury occurred, when, what you are seeing that is concerning? Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is 3 yrs a border collie and was attacked by a dog his eye was injured at the edge of his eye a small hole on the bottom part of his skin around the eye and now he has a film on part of his pupil and his eye is watering a lot he wants to keep it closed and really irritates him and keep rubbing it he has been on eye antibiotics for about 3 weeks and also oral antibiotics what else can I do would a eye steroid work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
still waiting for a response
I am so sorry to hear that your Border Collie has this injury and delayed response. I am typing as fast as I am able. It sounds like he potentially has what is called a non healing or indolent ulceration of the eye which may require a visit to a veterinary specialist to resolve. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogsSteroids are very much contraindicated in this situation and can cause the eye to progressively worsen and potentially rupture the eye with an ulceration so this should not be considered. Often what needs to occur is that a specialists dulls the sensation to the cornea then uses diamond burr dremmel to stimulate healing. This is typically not done at your regular veterinary clinic
Here is a link to finding a veterinary eye doctor in your area: this is nothing anyone did wrong to cause this scenario, some dogs corneal injuries do not heal while others heal just fine. It is most common in Boxers but can happen in any breed and does require more aggressive care to resolve more succinctlyPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today, topical medications are not going to help resolve this. Often I do a recheck in 48 hours to see if we have appropriate healing and if not then discuss the next step in care for the eye If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!