Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I recently adopted Gypsy. She was from a home that constantly

Customer Question

I recently adopted Gypsy. She was from a home that constantly had her pregnant. She was pregnant when I adopted her. She was also heartworm positive. We have since gone thru the grueling heartworm procedure and now she is heartworm free! She started getting a hacking "cough" recently. It's sounds and looks more like a cat with a fur ball though and it's coming from her stomach - not her lungs. When she has an episode like this, her back and neck get very warm, I'm guessing from all the labor. I can get her to calm down and it goes away. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new adoption! I hope you have many happy years together! There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief 1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer. I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. Especially with a history of heartworm disease which can leave scars in the lungs or a remnant of a worm causing issues within the lung (depending on how long ago treatment was completed). But if Gypsy was adopted within the last few weeks then there is a good possibility this is kennel cough and resolution should occur within a 3-5 day period but again if there is lethargy, decreased appetite, production to the cough then please have Gypsy seen sooner rather than later Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!