Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a 8 year old male Australian Labradoodle with a swollen

Customer Question

I have a 8 year old male Australian Labradoodle with a swollen nipple. He has been neutered and it is the only one that is swollen. There are no other spots that are red or hair loss.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This isn't something I would worry too much about. It may just be a local irritation that you're seeing. I would try icing it 2-3 times daily and giving some Benadryl to see if it goes down over the next 5-7 days. The Benadryl dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. If it's still there in 5-7 days, I would have a vet look at it. In that case, I would wonder if it's a type of skin tumor or even a mammary tumor. These are rare in males, but it is documented. I think it's more likely a contact allergen or bug bite or just a local irritation vs anything significant. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.