Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

When it comes to heart murmurs on a dog ,,, a veterinarian

Customer Question

when it comes to heart murmurs on a dog ,,, a veterinarian gave my dog one rating of 4/6 ,,,, a veterinarian cardiologist gave 2 different ratings one for the left and one for the right, 3/6 and 4/6........is the cardiologist being more precise by not just rating the heart as a whole but as rating each part of the heart that can be rated?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I can understand how this might be confusing especially since evaluating and rating heart murmurs is somewhat subjective between individuals. As your vets probably already mentioned, a dog's heart has four valves; when a murmur is detected, it means that one (or more) of these valves is leaking. ...usually the mitral valve which is located on the left side of the heart and/or the tricuspid valve on the right side .Because each valve is ausculted best on different parts of the body ( left or right chest), your cardiologist is evaluating and rating two separate valves.The original vet may have "heard" the same degree of murmur for both valves and thus gave just one value but your cardiologist is being more precise and specific and rating them individually....at least according to what they heard and their judgement. I hope this helps. Deb