Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog has staining around the eyes and mouth. I have

Customer Question

Hi! My dog has staining around the eyes and mouth. I have tried chewable supplements to help with the problem but they haven't helped. I was told it was because of her saliva. Do you have any suggestions to help with the staining? I
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Loretta and she is 1 1/2 years old. The doc wanted to put her on antibiotics daily. I would rather not.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loretta?
Customer: not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about Loretta's condition although this is not serious although it may appear this way. Great name, by the way...she must be very beautiful!! This staining is a common occurance with some dogs because the circulating porphyrins bind to yeast and bacteria on the fur causing excessive tearing and this dark stain. Angel Eyes is a common product that is often used for this because it contains Tylosin, an antibiotic, that ties up these circulating porphyrins to decrease this staining. Some of the formulas now do not contain an antibiotic and are effective. This LINK will explain in more detail. This can be purchased at the pet store or online. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****