Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Second question about 5 month old beagle, pug , ***** *****

Customer Question

Second question about 5 month old beagle, pug , ***** ***** mix (female). Since I've had her, my dog has a small bump by her belly button, what i assume is a hernia. The vet had said not to worry about it. I was just wondering, is there anything dangerous about it? when she is spayed at 6months with that fix it? should i fix it sooner?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. This does sound like an umbilical hernia. They are usually harmless, unless a loop of intestine becomes strangulated in the hernia. In that case, it can cause significant signs (vomiting, lethargy, fever). I typically just repair these at the time of spaying. We just extend the incision up a bit and trim the edges of the hernia and then close it up. That will take care of the issue. If it all of the sudden gets much larger, then have it done sooner. That is unlikely to be an issue. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.