Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our dog got her rabies vaccination yesterday morning and she

Customer Question

Our dog got her rabies vaccination yesterday morning and she has had diarrhea on and off for the last 5 hours.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: We rescued her form the animal shelter yesterday. Is this just a side effect?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She has diarrhea.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Mucus in her last bowl movement.
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: No appetite - I gave her a small amount of water through a syringe.
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** she is approximately 1 year old.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: We were told that she may have a cold when we picked her up today and we gave her one dose of Doxycycline as instructed, but she threw that up an hour later.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you recommend some ways to get her to drink water and would you recommend chicken broth for some nutrition?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I would note that diarrhea isn't a side effect of the vaccination directly. Though if she has just been rescued, has an ongoing infection that is being treated (which really the vaccine should not have been given until that was fully settled), and we are bombarding a stressed immune system with a vaccine, its not uncommon to see these kinds of situations. Therefore, we'd want to take some supportive care measures at this point while keeping a close eye on her. To start, since you noted that she isn't eating and we've seen signs of nausea/vomiting, we can try her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need your vet or the shelter's vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Though if we can get her settled, we can plan to start her on a light/easily digestible diet. This would be better then low salt chicken broth for nutrition (though that is fine to use to encourage her to drink). Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. You can even add a bit of fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to this to bulk up her stools too. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, the vaccine isn't our culprit but with it being given in a time of stress and when she is under treatment for something else, it may have just stretched Luna's immune system too far. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down (since we'd expect her to drink better for us once we get the nausea settled), appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, and start injectable anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.