Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a dashound about 22 lbs with a upset tummy can I give

Customer Question

I have a dashound about 22 lbs with a upset tummy can I give him ondansetron tab 4 mg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jackson and he is about 6 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jackson?
Customer: I just gave him some pepto bismol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Sorry to hear Jackson is unwell, yes this drug can be used in dogs however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... There are a number of home remedies for vomiting and upset tummy in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Ondansetron { Zofran } to treat their dogs for vomiting and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK The usual dose rate for dogs is between 0.05 to 0.5 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given orally once a day. So a reasonable mid range dose for your dog would be one 4 mg tablet once a day.2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Jackson deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Jackson is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his upset tummy ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.