Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Pearl... I'm not sure if my cavalier ate some of my oxycodone...

Customer Question

HI pearl... I'm not sure if my cavalier ate some of my oxycodone... They are the ones without Tylenol
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He is a cavalier King Charles spaniel. About 10-11 lbs dog
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the King Charles spaniel will be able to digest that. What is the King Charles spaniel's name and age?
Customer: He is almost 2 years old... His name is Bentley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bentley?
Customer: No... I don't think so... I'm watching his breathing... It seems ok... He's sleeping... Which is pretty usual for this time of night
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry for the long wait. The good news is that Oxycodone is pretty safe in dogs. It's the Tylenol that we worry about. Opiate pain meds are much better tolerated in dogs than they are in people. We don't really see the respiratory depression until we get to really high doses. You may see some lethargy and constipation, but other than that it should be fine. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.