Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 75% Yorkie/terrier has had diarrhea a week, he

Customer Question

My 75% Yorkie/terrier has had diarrhea for about a week, he has an apatite, but no answer big one. Another dog has been staying with us, and he may have eaten some of his food..can u help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting? 2- Any other symptoms? 3- Any blood in the stool? 4- Is he on any medications? 5- How much does he weigh? 6- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only happened last Friday(vomit), once, possible blood in vomit, I didn't see it just heard that he did, not sure if it was actually witnessedo, diarrhea since,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No meds or prior problems, haven't noticed any blood in stool
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
7-9 pounds
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has only eaten very little, since fri....but his physical motions indicate that he has an apatite
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I e looking towards the ground while I'm cooking as to see any food that drops....
Friend, if there was blood in the vomit it is safe to assume there is something damaging or that injured the wall of the esophagus, stomach or first part of the intestines; the diarrhea is a consequence to this. So, there could be something else going on here unrelated to the other dog's food. Possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, if there was blood in the vomit the pepto bismol could make it worst. You can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dextar. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter