Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Dr. Altman, I appreciate your answer above but don't understand

Customer Question

Dr. Altman, I appreciate your answer above but don't understand how an antacid will help slow down the diarrhea. Also, would Pepto-Bismol be better than kaopectate? Additionally, I don't see a place to Rate Our Conversation at the top of my screen. I need an answer quickly as it is late at night and we are heading to bed I imagine you would like to do, too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Kaopectate and pepto are in the same family together so one versus the other will have similar effectsA lot of times when we are dealing with an nsaid related diarrhea it is upper gi so stomach and/ or proximal small intestine as the origin so beginning an antacid will reduce risk of stomach ulcerations and quiet the stomach in hopes of calming the gi spasms and allowing the hyper motility occurring to slow down. If we didn't have the nsaid as a factor then this might not be as effective, especially if there was blood or mucus in the stool indicating that it is more colonic but with the previcox being the origin this should help quiet the gut a bitI hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both. I am online another 10 minutes tonight, I just wanted to ensure I responded before I signed off If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Alright I am signing off for the night, best wishes for a speedy recovery :)