Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Dachshund is 17 years old. I want to continue to give him

Customer Question

My Dachshund is 17 years old. I want to continue to give him the best care possible.
He has developed cataracts and his ophthalmologist will not operate due to the age of his eyes. How can I make his life with limited eyesight as comfortable an active as possible?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. I am sorry to hear that age has prevented him from being a candidate for surgery. Still, dogs are very resourceful and many cope just fine with limited or even no sight. This is because unlike humans they are not as dependant on this sense. So, as long as he has some hearing and especially has his wee nose, he will likely cope fine.Though to help him, we'd want to refrain from moving the furniture regularly. If we keep the house layout the same, he will be ale to work out the layout and should negotiate without issue. As well, we want to make sure not to be using air fresheners, scented candles, incense or sprays. These scented products can confuse the nose and he may struggle to get around the house or even smell food if they are used heavily. Also, if you have any areas where he could fall of ledges or down stairs, we may need to use baby gates or strategically limit his access to certain rooms to keep him safe. And for going out, we of course want to make sure to keep him on lead, away from other dogs if he finds them stressful, and ideally use places that are safe/quiet for him to mooch around without worry of any unexpected attacks or bother.Overall, while its a shame he isn't a candidate for surgery, loss of sight isn't as devastating for dogs as it is for people. So, we can just use the above to help him cope and enjoy life as much as he can. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.