Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has shortness of breath and except he hardly eats

Customer Question

He has shortness of breath and except for milk he hardly eats anything. His tongue is blue, and this is a relapse of what he had last year around the same time and the vet at the local veterinary hospital here in Mumbai diagnosed it as pleurisy after doing an
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A barium x-ray
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: It's a dog, a stray I adopted about three years ago after he got run over by a car
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the stray dog?
Customer: He has a relapse of pleurisy, and I want to know if there is any medication that can help him, as he was mishandled by the ward boys when I admitted him to the hospital last year,and I am reluctant to admit him there again
JA: Where does the stray dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It's just his his breathing, he is short of breath all the time and keeps holding his head up to bree
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Breathe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Breathe?
Customer: Obi Wan is his name, and as I said before he was run over by a car. I had him checked by my vet then and he said there were no broken bones, although he did have some severe gashes on his face
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. First, I am very sorry to hear that he was mistreated at his last visit, but I still must say that it would be ideal to have him seen now if his gums/tongue are blue. This is a sign of poor oxygen uptake and he won't be able to spare a breath to eat if he is in this stage. Therefore, he really needs to be oxygen at this stage. Now since there was concern about care, you may need to speak to the head vet or request to stay with him as he is cared for. Specifically, we'd want to have a repeat xray (especially since pleurisy doesn't tend to be seasonal and wouldn't be diagnosed using barium). That way we can confirm what is ongoing here. Depending on that or if you have a word with the vet about your concerns, they may need to start him on bronchodilators and anti-inflammatories to ease his breathing. If there is congestion or infection, decongestants (be aware that OTC human ones are not safe for dogs) and antibiotics may also be needed to clear this.Overall, if he had had pleurisy before it should not be relapsing here. So, if he is in respiratory distress as you have reported, we really need to be proactive. We could try liquid diets and watering down food to get him eating; but really that is just a secondary issue. Instead we really would want to have him on oxygen to stabilize his breathing and potentially rechecking an xray so we can treat this appropriately and give him a chance here. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.