Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She was just bitten by a centipede. I'm worried BC she has

Customer Question

She was just bitten by a centipede. I'm worried BC she has CHF and is on several medications for it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: I have her benadryl 25mg PO just now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at all. Just very uncomfortable, getting her paw raised, panting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: *gave
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Centipede bites don't typically cause systemic issues, but we can have pretty severe local reactions to them. We usually see a red raised area and then some redness and bruising around the bite. I would continue to give Benadryl every 6-8 hours for a good 24-48 hours to help keep this local reaction under control. The dose of benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. I would also ice the area 2-3 times daily to help with the swelling. If you notice any worsening in respiratory signs, then I would go to a vet. I think she has a good chance of recovering fully with just Benadryl at home. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.