Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My Miniature Schnauzer mix has had diarrhea days, a reaction

Customer Question

My Miniature Schnauzer mix has had diarrhea for 2 days, a reaction to Previcox. Contacted my vet. Stopped previcox, fasted Buddy (my dog) for 24 hours and have given him rice and chicken today. Poop is still very runny. Now, tho, he tries to have movement, but seems unable to get much out. I am buy Kaopectate and need to know dosage. He weighs 17 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that Buddy is having issues with a previcox reaction. I would advise staying the course with the current treatment. I tend to avoid keopectate for a few reasons including causing stools to be black which can confuse between bleeding of the stomach versus medication but also it doesn't seem to help with diarrhea and often does not change the course of resolution.If you elect to use kaopectate: The typical dose administered to dogs is 0.5 to 1.5 ml per pound per day (1 to 3 ml/kg/day). The total daily dose should be divided into two to four doses. This amounts to approximately 2 teaspoons (10 ml total) per 10-pounds per day, ideally split between two to four doses.I tend to use pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound or for Buddy's size 10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours or prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound i.e. 1/2 of a 20 mg tablet daily to settle the stomach. With the medication taking 24-72 hours to leave the intestinal tract and the spasms of the intestinal tract to subside I would try to see how things go the next few days with the white rice and chicken preferably in smaller more frequent meals along with the antacids I listedPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good afternoon how is your little one doing since you asked your question? I would love an update when you are able... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!