Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We noticed on our boxer/lab her gums are all black. She is

Customer Question

We noticed on our boxer/lab her gums are all black. She is about 4 years old. I cant reallybsay if theyve been like this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I just had knee surgery and wont able to take her till Saturday
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** seems to be eating ok but she stares at tye closet which is unusual
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Blu is her name
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
If all of her gums are black, you're seeing genetically predetermined pigmentation. We become concerned about melanoma - a very dangerous oral cancer of heavily pigmented cells - when a focal black growth protrudes from the gums and is associated with significant inflammation. I suspect that Blu's mouth is normal. I don't know the significance of her staring at the closet, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?