Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

If you start new medication like Lasix and enalapril on a 16

Customer Question

if you start new medication like Lasix and enalapril on a 16 pound dog.... how long before you get the kidney panel checked?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. As with most thing in medicine the answer is... it depends. What it depends on is his overall health and previous information. If he already has weak kidneys or it's been more than 1 year since the last blood work then I'd check those values at 2 weeks if he was my patient. If we know he has good kidneys with recent blood work I'd check after 1 month. When to check is mostly based on the risk in the health of your particular dog. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so would you say checking the kidney panel a week later would be too soon?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 months ago.
I would think it's a little over cautious unless they are using an aggressive starting dose. IF he was in bad shape and they had to use high doses, then one week is a good idea, if they started a low dose then 1 week is a little cautious but not wrong in anyway.