Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Ate a piece JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian

Customer Question

Ate a piece
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ate a epic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Ate a piece of fudge
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- To make sure I got this right, your dog ate epic chocolate fudge? 2- How old is your dog? 3- Sex? 4- Weight? 5- Pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3 years old male 15 lbs no medical condition
1- To make sure I got this right, your dog ate epic chocolate fudge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
1- How long has it been since he ate it? 2- How much did he eat? 3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About a hour ago.
1 small piece
1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%? 2- How small was the piece, like an inch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About an inch and a 1/4 and about 3 inch deep
Friend, if you answer my questions in the order I submit them we can move much faster. 1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not 3 but 3/8 inch deep
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. I don't believe a piece of chocolate fudge 1/4-3/8" is going to be life threatening to a 15 lbs dog, at worst you may see some mild vomiting or diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. I would recommend you observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) he will be fine. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter