Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Hey Dr. Salkin it's me again! Natalie Warren. Pete is one

Customer Question

Hey Dr. Salkin it's me again! Natalie Warren. Pete is one day post op and he is doing well just still seems uncomfortable to me. His vet only wants him to take 1/4 of 50mg tramadol but I don't think it's helping. He whines and is so uncomfortable. I know the first couple of days are the worst. Would it be so bad to give him another tramadol? She doesn't have to sit w him I do! But I don't want to hurt him either. Please help or I'll have to spend another two hundred to see her for this. Oh he is 4.4 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Now that pic is definitely in my customer photo folder, Natalie. Poor Pete. The new dosing guidelines for tramadol are 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. 4.4 lbs x 2-5 mg = 10 - 25 mg every 8 hours. Remember, you'll see more sedation at the higher doses but he should be quite a bit more comfortable! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really appreciate it! I want him comfortable. I know when I have surgery I'll chop Someone's hand off if they dare try to take my pain pump. Lol thanks so much again. I know the question is redundant but I wanted to be safe. Yes he slept quite well last night after we spoke. Thanks so much! Natalie Warren
No worries, Natalie. I wondered why I was answering that question again. Pete will remain safe...a bit groggy, perhaps, but safe! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pete. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello!! He is doing really well. He hates the Elizabethan collar of course but well. I've cut his pain meds back to the 1/4 now because he is doing so well. I appreciate you getting back to me Tuesday because he really was in pain. I guess that's expected the first and second day. But yes he is do a little more running around and eating a little. He drinks a little bit must be hydrated because he had peed on my husband during the night and he owed only pillow the other day! Lol he has always been a sneaky little boy when it comes to eating and peeing and such. I will definitely let you know if I have any concerns or questions! Thanks so much for your concern and help! The Warrens
He brings a smile to my face. Thank you for good update, Natalie.I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.