Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My puppy has diarrhea and is vomiting, I can't get her to the

Customer Question

My puppy has diarrhea and is vomiting, I can't get her to the vet until Sat afternoon. There is no blood in her stole but she is loosing weight, I'm nervous
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. I have been watching her pretty close. Since. I noticed the diarrhea. Which started two days ago. She just vomited about an hour ago. She still plays and sleeps like a puppy thou.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: I just bought her from a breader about two weeks ago. He said he gave her a dewormer and a shot of penicillin to get her immune system going. I was able to reach out to someone else who bought a puppy from him. My friend said her puppy had hook worms. They are from the same litter.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Angel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has she had these signs?Can she keep any food or water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants,chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her gums look normal to me, I pressed on her belly and she didn't seem bothered. She may have possibly eaten a leaf or something while going to the bathroom. I take her outside but in the Parking lot. I didn't want her going through the grass without shots. She just vomited today, about an hour ago. So she is keeping some food down. She has had diarrhea for two days now. She is loosing weight, but she still plays.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was sleep when I checked her, her gums are sticky
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,First, I must say that I am quite concerned about Angel and we do need to tread with care. Pups are at high risk of picking up infectious (ie bacterial, viral, parasites, protozoa, etc) agents, picking up and ingesting harmful items, as well as have very small body reserves. And if her gums are sticky that is an early stage sign of dehydration already being present. So, we can see these situations get very serious very quickly and therefore we need to act fast. With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Though if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need them seen sooner so that her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Though if she dose settle with that, we can then plan to start her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and will reduce her diarrhea load. As well, we can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to this to help bulk up her stools for her. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk when pups have both upper and lower GI signs, we need to keep an eye on Angel’s hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger this severe GI upset we are seeing and if she has sticky gums and weight loss then this is already taking a real toll on her. Since she is young, we do need to be very careful here and proactive in getting her settled. You can start the above supportive care now to try to get her stomach settled. Of course, if she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she is so young); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with Angel?Dr. B.