Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a little Chihuahua and I let her outside to come in

Customer Question

I have a little Chihuahua and I let her outside to come in and she can sit down is run run run it's like she's been drugged or something I don't know what the hell's going on unless you got out in the yard so we gave it to her well but she is not acting like herself and I need to know what to do to calm her down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me if you still need help. I need clarification. Please tell me if this is correct:"I have a little Chihuahua and let her outside. When she came back in she was so agitated that she couldn't sit still. I wondered if she could have gotten out of the yard and into something." What does "we gave it to her" mean, please? Did she have access to either snail bait (metaldehyde) or rodent bait (bromethalin) either of which can cause such agitation? May I have an update on Rocky? Did you take her to a veterinary ER?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No we gave some over the counter calming gel u put on her nose. But that didn't help , she gets anxiety.. but it didn't help . No she don't have access to snail bait or rodent poison. She is still acting up n she's not herself.
Thank you. It sounds like she'll need the attention of her vet if she's been agitated for so long now. A central nervous system (brain) disorder is likely at her age. A sedating benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium) or even an anticonvulsive drug might be considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thank I appreciate ur help . I will definitely set up an appointment with her vet, I was feeling stressed out cuz she was stressed out n u wanted to know what I could do at that time tangelo calm her down. I don't have a problem with taking her to the vet if she needs to go, cuz I live her n I would do anything to make her feel better .
That's good to hear. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.