Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is not feeling well. He has no energy and is drooling

Customer Question

My dog is not feeling well. He has no energy and is drooling at the mouth. His jaw on his left side is swollen. He is only 5 months old and usually full of energy. Tonight he is laying in his bed drooling and whimpers.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Poor lad!I have to say that I am very concerned about Obi. If he has a jaw based swelling, this will be the cause of his drooling but could also be causing him pain and making him feel unwell. Now he is young, so we'd be less worried about jaw based tumors, but we'd still have to be wary of jaw fractures, bone infections as well as salivary gland disease (inflammation, infection, blockage), or even enlarged lymph nodes from an oral infection.Therefore, if he is quite unwell with this, we'd really want to have him seen urgently. His vet can palpate the area to determine which issue is present. Depending on those findings, they can start dog safe pain relief to ease his discomfort and reduce any swelling (which can decrease the drooling). Though if a fracture is suspect, they may need to follow this pain relief with an xray +/- wiring any breaks found. Or if they can rule that out but find infection, then antibiotics can be started to nip this in the bud and get him back to normal as quickly as possible. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Reply he is doing great. He was 100% better by noon the next day. I think he got bit by something. Possibly a bee or a wasp. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the update.I am very glad to hear that he is well. :) Though that is an unlucky and uncharacteristic place for a sting (dogs usually are stung on their noses when they stick them too close). Still, hopefully he has learned to avoid any bees/wasps in the future and will refrain from giving us any more wee scares. Take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )