Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 year old peekapoo has been healthy up until tomight..she

Customer Question

My 12 year old peekapoo has been healthy up until tomight..she is panting and hasnt stopped for 45 minutes..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Any other symptoms? 3- Any changed in the environment that could be stressful for her? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No..
None..
No..
No..
1- Is the room warmer than usual? 2- Is she walking any different? 3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shes not panting now but breathing
Heavily
1- Can you take her rectal temperature? 2- Can you see if her gums are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
No
No
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, breathing heavily or excessive panting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: A fever (infection), pain secondary to abdominal or neuromuscular disorders, stress, heart or lung disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian, important to rule out an underlying heart disease. If you don't have access to ER vet, limit physical activity to urinate and defecate on a leash, follow up with family vet first thing in the morning. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peekapoo. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter