Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

We are here typing in our dogs symptoms to see what if

Customer Question

Hi. We are here typing in our dogs symptoms to see what if anything is wrong. Dog is a White Westy Highlander that is ten years old and symptoms include ... lethargic, not alert, has dry mouth and has vomited several times since almost 4 days ago, is not eating and today is now refusing to drink water. What should we do with our dog? Sincerely ***** ***** Gary
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Today she is not responding to any voice commands. She is now in her dog house.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over by a vet as soon as possible, what you describe does sound quite serious and it may well be beyond the scope of home remedies.2. While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that your Westie is lethargic and not wanting to eat or drink that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. 3. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible in your dog's case. 4. In the meantime until you can get your Westie to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try and get him to take fluids even if this means putting the fluids directly into your dog's mouth.I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your Westie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the lethargy and vomiting ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.