Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

There was a vet who gave my friends dog a drug that would make

Customer Question

there was a vet who gave my friends dog a drug that would make her live longer and she lived another 5 years. the vet said it was not legal for humans. do you know what this drug was? I have lost touch with this person and my boss is trying to help his 14 year old poodle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm going to guess that the drug was an anabolic ("body building") steroid. These aren't recommended for dogs anymore due to their deleterious effect on the liver. Paul, there are no panaceas that can be given to all dogs that reliably extend longevity. The best advice you can give your boss is to have his 14 year old poodle attended to by his/her at your boss's earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?