Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I noticed bumps under the skin in throat area and one on the

Customer Question

I noticed bumps under the skin in throat area and one on the back of each hind legs a couple of days ago. And tonight am seeing one side of the top of his head higher than the other side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He has been chewing his feet
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cory. Around 7 yrs pointer mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cory?
Customer: He doesn't mind me touching any of these things and is acting fine except hacks and tries to cough up some. Not always
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cory. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Bumps, swelling of the head or face, and chewing the feet can be from allergies. The coughing could be from allergies, too. You could see if antihistamines help. How much does Cory weigh? The dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is 1 mg per pound, so 25 mg per 25 pounds body weight, 2 to 3 times daily. You can also try Claritin (NOT Claritin D; loratidine) 5 mg for a medium dog and 10 mg for a large dog once daily. Are his gums a normal pink color? Is he eating normally?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's 55 lbs. gums are pink and look good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
And yes he's eating normally
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
You can try 50 mg Benadryl 2 to 3 times daily, or 5 to 10 mg Claritin once daily. Good he is eating and his gums are pink. If the antihistamines are going to help you should see improvement in just a few days or less. If it does not help, and his symptoms get worse, he should be checked by your veterinarian.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Was my answer helpful? How is he doing?Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is Cory doing?