Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog days now is hacking as if she has a hair ball

Customer Question

my dog for 3 days now is hacking as if she has a hair ball
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Snow's hacking. Is she still eating and drinking normally? Is she acting depressed? Is she doing this when she gets stimulated / excited?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes she is eatting doing everything as normal and no sign of feeling ill, only when we are giving her attention she starts doing this or when we take her for a walk
That is good that she's doing everything else normally. The big things I'd be concerned for here are 1) Kennel cough. 2) Collapsing trachea 3) Heart disease 4) pneumonia or other primary lung disease. With what you're describing, the kennel cough seems most suspect. If she's been around other dogs in the past 2 weeks - boarded, groomed, at the dog park, at the vet's, then an exposure could have happened there.
Here is a good link on the kennel cough. best thing I can recommend is getting her to your vet for them to check her over. You can video some of the events that you're seeing of the coughing. They can then determine if any specific therapy is needed for it. Kennel cough a lot of times resolves with time and their immune system. The other issues need more specific therapy.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well she is very friendly towards other dogs when i walk her so she is always going up to other dogs, so yes she is around other dogs. Is there something i can give her for this cough?
On one of those walks, a close up encounter may have allowed her to pick up something. As far as her, the best thing you can do is rest, minimal time on leash where a collar is pressing / pulling on the neck region.