jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

He's a 4yr old chiweenie. He suddenly got up from his bed

Customer Question

He's a 4yr old chiweenie. He suddenly got up from his bed and tried to walk and was falling over and shaking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jasper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jasper?
Customer: He's not lethargic though, it's like he frantically trying to stand/walk but can't get his legs to cooperate
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Shaking or trembling in toy breeds acan be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here: http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html However, like I mentioned, it can also happen due to pain and stress as well. Often inner ear infections can lead to vestibular diseasee which causes falling over, abnormal eye movement, nausea in some cases to name a few symptoms. Clearing the ear infection restores balance and relieves symptoms. If your dog had eaton within the last 6 hours, then I wouldn't suspect low blood sugar but it wouldn't rule out pain or disorientation as the result of organ dysfunction. If he was my dog, I'd get him into the vet if giving him some syrup doesn't correct the situation. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.