Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Early this morning we took the dog out side and

Customer Question

early this morning we took the dog out side for bathroom and he was not moving very well. he typically jumps and runs a lot. He is 8 years old and he usually jumps in bed but he just stood there not able to jump. His back one leg looks to be not as strong if that makes sense.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: koby
JA: Huh?
Customer: name of the dog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no just normal till this morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Does his one rear leg seem weak? Is he limping? How is his gait, is he walking hunched with tail tucked and tentative while walking? What type of dog is Koby?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Snorkie, Seams weak. Not really limping but like not as balanced or one leg is slower to move like of you pull a muscle or something like that.
And no vomiting nor diarrhea correct?
Gums are nice and pink?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no vomit, gums are fine
Great thank you. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. If there is a herniation or disc change it can be on one side more than another therefore causing weakness and changes in gait... Here is more information on this condition: Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow. You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it. To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.The other possibility is an issue with the brain or liver or that back leg in particular that can cause these symptoms, even acutely as you mentioned this was Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!