Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She's an eight pound Chihuahua. She has been crying in pain

Customer Question

She's an eight pound Chihuahua. She has been crying in pain but I can't find anything wrong with her. She is eating, going to the bathroom okay and walking okay. Her yelps a bit when picked up and starts to shake. I found a popsicle stick with both ends chewed which is something she has never done before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Squeaker
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Squeaker?
Customer: Her nails are very long but when I took her to the groomer I wasn't able to get her rabies record so they wouldn't cut them. She also coughs very loud after drinking water.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You've brought up a number of concerns. In most cases I'm going to focus on the back of miniature dogs who yelp when picked up and then shake (pain responses). Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is the most common cause of back pain in these dogs. Supportive evidence of a disk may include reluctance to jump up or down or navigate steps, a change in posture such qas holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground or perhaps a "hunch" in the back, vocalizing when approached or lifted, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". A vet is likely to initially conserevatively address these dogs with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as the prescription carprofen or meloxicam. Keeping these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further is important. Most simple disk will remiss within 3 weeks. Her chewing that popsicle stick is a concern because sharp wooden spicules can irritate and even perforate her intestine. These dogs, however, are usually vomiting and inappetent.Finally, her feet may be painful. Long nails need to be cut promptly. If you have financial constraints, you can have the rabies vaccination done at a low-cost vaccine clinic, bring the rabies certificate to the groomer and get those nails taken care of. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
errata: "as" instead of qas "conservatively" instead of conserevatively "most simple disks" instead of ...disk