Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Looking to use ivermectin prevention o Great

Customer Question

Looking to use ivermectin for heartworm prevention o Great Dane. 1 yr old 150lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Winston
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?
Customer: no. Other then hw prevention. I can tell being long time dog owner showing first sign of Hw by cough
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You can purchase a 1% injectable (which can be given orally) solution of ivermectin in your local pet/feed store. Dosing can be 0.05 mg/lb once monthly. A 1% solution contains 10 mg/mL. 150 lb x 0.05 mg/lb = 7.5 mg which would be equivalent to 0.75 mL once monthly. Please note that this dosing is the preventative dose of ivermectin. It doesn't treat adult heartworms which are addressed with melarsomine (Immiticide). It's important to have Winston heartworm tested prior to dosing with ivermectin although ivermectin wouldn't be harmful even if he were currently heartworm positive.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?