Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

13 yr old basset hound. Had gall bladder removed two weeks

Customer Question

13 yr old basset hound. Had gall bladder removed two weeks ago last Friday due to build up of thick fluid. Since surgery, we have been feeding him by syringe a bland diet, but have been trying to add calories through baby food to help build his weight up. He will eat table scraps (chips, carrots, etc.) but will not eat any dog food out of bowl regardless of type. Nor will he eat eggs, chicken, etc. Has diarrhea, but vet has him on flaggil for that, plus prednazone to help stimulate appetite.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset hound's name?
Customer: Gus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: He lost his litter mate about 5 weeks ago to cancer. He is blind in one eye since birth and has been deaf for about a year.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Gus's troubles. Nutri-Cal is a good high calorie supplement you can try. It is a flavored paste that he might like to eat or you can spread it on the inside of his lips. You should be able to find it at most pet stores.I don't know if you have tried cottage cheese or not. Cottage cheese is high in protein and easy on the GI tract and usually dogs really like it. It also has the added benefit of it can be easily fed through a syringe.Also, maybe consider talking to your vet about an antidepressant. It sounds like he has been through a lot lately and sometimes animals need a little help just like people do.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!