Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

A small cyst on my shih-tzu upper lid close to his eyelashes

Customer Question

a small cyst on my shih-tzu upper lid close to his eyelashes - would like to see if I can make it decrease or eliminate at home first. What is recommended? Warm teabags?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: read above
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: the dog doesn't HURT
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: are you reading
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: Ralphie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: nope - he just had his physical and is 11 years old and in excellent health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This cyst that you see is usually a benign skin tumor that will only be removed by a surgical procedure, There is no way to stop this from growing or eliminate this without cutting this off. Because of Ralphie's age, there is a risk of anesthesia so your vet may not want to remove this. AS long as this mass does not interfere with the eye, there is no urgency in removing this. If it grows larger and starts to cause a rubbing on Ralphie's eye, then this must be removed or this could cause a corneal ulcer which could be serious. There is a small chance that this may be an abscess...this is much less common but using warm compresses on this area could draw this infection to the outside and resolve this. It is worth a try.... Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****