Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

It's storming here she is very anxious and panting JA: I'll

Customer Question

It's storming here she is very anxious and panting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Can I do anything for her
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I have benadryl and tizidine that are mine would it hurt her
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie she is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: She arthritis in her back legs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we don’t tend to use Tizanidine in dogs since it has a very narrow safety margin and overdoses with dangerously severe sedation would be a real worry. So, that would not something to be use with Minnie. Still, Benadryl would be an over the counter option that we could consider as it can cause mild sedation in dogs (given at a dose of 0.5-2mg per pound every 8 hours). So, you could try that one if you wished to. Otherwise, I would note some other options that we often use in situations of storm anxiety. First, it can help to give her a secure space to ride out the storm. Ideally, they should be a room or closet with no external walls. You can put Minnie's dog bed or even a dog crate in that space for her to feel secure in. This will reduce the amount of storm stimuli reaching her and help reduce her stress. And with time, she may learn that that "safe place" is somewhere she can go and be safe. Further to this, there are some de stressing treatments that can aid dogs in coping with what is a scary situation like this. One example that may be of benefit here is a Thunder Shirt. You can read more about this @ . Otherwise, there are some de-stressing treatment that can also help (on its own or with the above). Specifically, we will use Adaptil/DAP, which is a synthetic pheromone that helps to relieve stress, promote relaxation, and help her cope with this situation. This can be used as a spray, a plug-in diffuser (ideally used in the room she spends the most time), or there are even collar preparations. They are available OTC at the vet's, most pet stores, or can even be purchased online (ie Amazon).Furthermore, there are nutritional supplements available over the counter at the vets, like Kalmaid or Zylkene that we often use to soothe canine anxiety and stress. As well, we can even use Bach Flower Remedy for (though not as well tolerated as the other agents and isn’t as dog specific as the other de-stress therapies). And since these are not drugs per say, they can be used in any combination we may wish.Overall, we do need to avoid using the Tizanidine here but you can try the Benadryl and above to help calm her and help her get through this scary storm. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.