Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 90lb dog just ate 5-6 vetmedin 10mg tablets JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

My 90lb dog just ate 5-6 vetmedin 10mg tablets
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shy, she's about two and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shy?
Customer: Sky
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did she eat these?How is she just now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She ate them within the last 15 minutes. Ate the moment she is fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** dilemma here is that even for Sky’s size, this is a 5x overdose. Therefore, there is a risk we could see GI upset (vomiting, drooling, appetite loss) apathy, ataxia, heart murmurs or changes in rate, and blood pressure falls may occur Now in this situation and with this level of overdose, we do have a few options. To start, since she just had this, we can choose to induce vomiting now. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, this is a significant overdose and this could cause some serious effects for her. Therefore, we'd be best to avoid any issue by using the above at this stage. Of course, if you do see any of those more severe signs, we'd need to get her local vet involved to start her on IV fluids and symptomatic care to get this out of her system and limit any risk here. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! :
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just gave her some peroxide and she vomited immediately but I don't think it made it to her stomache. Should I read minister more peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,I would if you didn't see the tablets in her vomit, since they should still be present at this stage.Best wishes,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She gags and brings up what I just gave her but she's not really vomiting per se
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
In that case, we may need to have your local vet bypass her mouth with injectable apomorphine to get her vomiting these back up. Otherwise, activated charcoal could be used to bind the drug and limit its risk for her.Take care, Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I misread the amount of peroxide, I wasn't giving her enough. I got a good dose and she vomited substantially and I can see the pills. Will be giving her some charcoal as well. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Great news!!I am very glad to hear that she brought them up and the activated charcoal is perfect for mopping up any left in her stomach. We can now all breathe a sigh of relief for Sky and plan to just keen an eye on her after this wee misadventure. All the best & good work,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )