Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I took my dog to the vet and she was parlolized and had lock

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet and she was parlolized and had lock jaw it only happens with in an 1 1/2 and one vet said it looked like a snake bite and the other said it was parvovirus and so I had her put down and I'm not sure what she had because they did not do any tests and took her straight out the back and put her down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name was chance and she was 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chance?
Customer: Thinks that's it she was eating and drinking fine and playing with my other dog right before it happened
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so very sad to hear you lost Chance. Sounds like her exact diagnosis was unclear. A snake bite by a snake that injects neurotoxin may be possible, if you have those snakes in your area. Tough to do any sort of antemortem test for that. For parvovirus, it usually does not cause paralysis but profound digestive tract symptoms (vomit/diarrhea especially bloody); so I am not sure we could link "lock jaw" with this. There is actually an easy in-house test for parvo that I am sure your vet had which could have been done.Now, distemper virus affecting the neurological system is another possible viral cause, but there is no easy test for this condition (there is testing but it involves sending samples to the lab and waiting 24-72 hours).Other possibilities if her only symptoms were paralysis and "lock jaw" are botulism or tetanus or even rabies. Sadly, we can only speculate now that she is not with us. The only way to definitively know is for a necropsy (autopsy) to be done. Given it was such odd circumstances and there is a risk for rabies, this should probably be performed by a pathologist (the state/county will often provide the rabies screen for free because it is such a health risk) and not in-house unless that is not an option in your area. So, I hope this final test is pending for you to get some peace of mind to know what caused this.