PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My shorkie had surgery today to remove some cysts.

Customer Question

Hey there...my shorkie had surgery today to remove some cysts. There are 3 one inch incisions- 2 on her neck and 1 on her left hip. She was fine as far as pain relief for about 2 hours after we got her home. After that, her respirations went sky high. The vet prescribed her 12.5mg Rimadyl qd. I gave her 1/4 tramadol and 1/2 acepromazine 10mg. Still breathing terribly. Anything that I can do to stop the breathing? She is laying down right now, which she didn't do earlier, but breathing still fast.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: My dog's not lethargic.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long ago were these meds given?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Rimadyl 12.5mg given at 700pm to stop the pain that I assumed was her reason for panting.
Tramadol 25mg given at 2100pm to stop the pain that I assumed was panting (panting and respiration rate increased dramatically)
Acempromazine 5mg given at 2200pm to stop the anxiety and panting.She continued over the night to pant and finally stopped panting at 0300. She continued with the increase in respiratory rate until about 0600.
All three of these medications do take a while to reach maximum efficacy for the pet, which is likely why it took so long for her to have a notable benefit. Does your vet already have her on a dosing for the tramadol and acepromazine that's at least twice daily? If not, I would call them today and ask them about doing this. She's likely going to need dosing around the clock if she's experiencing this much pain/anxiety. As well, there's quite a bit of a dosing range that can be increased on the tramadol, so if you feel like she's not getting adequate pain relief discussing an increased dosage with them may be warranted, as well. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.