Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 1 yr old dog dropped her foood dish in the kitty litter

Customer Question

My 1 yr old dog dropped her foood dish in the kitty litter ox earlier today and ate it along with some litter. She is now listless and feels warm. Earlier she had a massive liquid diarrhea and through up all her food. What can I do, it is late at night and the vets are closed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now if your lass has eaten quite a bit of litter, we do need to tread with care. This is because while this can upset the stomach to cause diarrhea and vomiting, but if she has eaten a lot then this could also cause a blockage in her gut. Therefore, if her gums are paler then usual, she cannot keep even water down, or has belly pain; we'd want to have her seen urgently. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** to soothe her GI upset sins until her vet is open, we do have a few options. To start, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Still if she can keep this down and steadies, we can plan to offer a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. You can even add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to this to help bulk up her stool quicker and push any litter through. Probiotics (ie Fortiflora) could also be started to help settle the gut after this dirty litter exposure. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, we need to tread with care in situations like this. Though as long as you aren't seeing those red flag signs I noted, we can start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above by the time her vet is open; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out blockages and start her on injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )