Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I let my friend mom give my 8 week old puppies shots and dewormer

Customer Question

I let my friend mom give my 8 week old puppies shots and dewormer them and now they are throwing up and one of them is drooling, the one that is drooling his neck seems to be swollen in the area where the shot was given
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she said she has been giving her dogs their shots for almost 20 years and I bought the shots from our local pet store so I assumed it was ok, but now I am worried
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no the vomiting started shortly after the worm meds and shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I am not worried about the mess
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.I have to say I am quite concerned about these little ones.The vomiting raises concerns of possible wormer overdose or that she has given the vaccines to pups that had a subclinical infection brewing that she didn't pick up (part of the reason we examine pups before we vaccinate). Furthermore, the swelling is especially worrisome. It is possible it is an allergic reaction to the vaccine but if it looks quite swollen it could also be an abscess (bacterial infection) from her giving the vaccine.Now with this all in mind, I do think the swollen pup should be seen by your local vet. They can determine which issue is causing the swelling and treat accordingly (ie antibiotics for abscesses, anti-inflammatories if it is an allergic reaction). At the same time, they can determine the root cause for the vomiting and treat with injectable anti-nausea treatment. They may even be willing to dispense anti-nausea treatment for the others if they don't suspect an infection.Otherwise, in the meantime, we can try to settle their little stomachs with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if any of them have a known health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if any cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass their mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from your vet. If they can and settle, we can then plan to start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet. Finally, since they are so young and dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on all the pups' hydration. To check this and ensure no one is becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. You can start by checking gum moisture, as dry/sticky gums are a sign of dehydration. As well, you will want to make sure their eyes are not looking sunken and that no pup has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have them seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).Overall, this is a less then ideal situation and does raise a few concerns. Since one pup potentially has an abscess, I do think that one needs to be seen at this stage and a discussion with your vet about treatment for the others should be considered. Otherwise, we can at least try the above to see if we can settle their stomachs and avoid complications like dehydration.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )