Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog chewed the top of generic lubricating eye redness drops

Customer Question

My dog chewed the top of generic lubricating eye redness drops . I think she may have swallowed a bit of it. It has .5%hyptomellos,naphazoline,.03% hydrochloride and a chloiride preservative in it. Will this hurt her? She is 7 lbs. Now sleeping which normal for this time of night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: KeeKee
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keesee?
Customer: I have heard Visine is bad for dogs. KeeKee is 10 months old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that KeeKee ingested a few drops of a generic lubricating eye redness eye drop. How long ago did this occur?Unfortunately these eye drops are rapidly well absorbed across mucous membranes (the gums). So it is not practical to induce vomiting because it won't help, they are directly absorbed, she didn't even need to swallow it. If she licked up more than you think she did she could get into trouble because she is a very tiny pup. We do not recommend using these drops in dogs because they tend to be more sensitive to the effects of naphazoline than humans. This drug is a sympathomimetic and an imidazoline derivative, and is used in eye drops as a local nasal and ocular mucosa decongestant. In short it causes blood vessel constriction.With an excessive dose, or if ingested by accident, naphazoline may cause depression of the central nervous system (severe lethargy or paradoxical hyperactivity, loss of consciousness, and possibly progressing to coma depending how much was ingested), vomiting, low body temperature, and slow or irregular heart rate. Symptoms after ingestion may start to occur within 30 minutes to as long as 4 hours later. That means if she remains herself for the next 4 hours she should be fine.Toxicity is more likely to occur with repeated exposure. My hope is that she ingested very little of the drops, and most leaked out on the floor.Treatment is based upon treating and supporting signs of heart rhythm abnormalities and controlling blood pressure abnormalities.You have the option of watching her closely tonight and having her treated at the emergency clinic if she becomes symptomatic, or taking her into an emergency clinic and hospitalizing her for several hours for observation and treatment as needed.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****