Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

She was fine then all of the sudden she vomited and defecated

Customer Question

She was fine then all of the sudden she vomited and defecated on the couch got down fell to her side and shook went stiff that was 3 days ago she's eating chicken and rice she is going potty outside but won't touch her food or treats and seems to have rapid breathing . She's up and moving and is alert when people come home . It's been a sudden episode and I was not home when this happened just my kids and husband .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she's a indoor dog other than to go potty and we watch her closely when she's outside
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mallory
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mallory?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that Mallory hasn't been feeling well - I'll do my best to help. That episode that you described sounds like it could have either been a seizure or a syncopal episode. They can be very difficult to tell apart, but it's important to know which is happening because the treatment is very different for each condition. A seizure is a neurologic condition where the brain undergoes incoordiated electrical impulses that can cause loss of consciousness, spasming or jerking of the limbs, and sometimes involuntary urination or defecation. A syncopal episode happens when they have a heart condition that causes them to be unable to circulate enough blood to their brain to keep them conscious. Usually syncopal episodes are preceded by heavier than normal activity, although sometimes with a syncopal episode that's triggered by an arrhythmia there's no obvious trigger. Since one episode is neurologic and the other is cardiac, it's important to be able to tell which one is going on. Sometimes we have an idea of what's causing an episode based on some info from the physical exam - for instance a heart murmur or arrhythmia can be associated with a syncopal episode. Also, breathing heavily like you're describing could also happen with heart disease. I'm concerned about Mallory based on your description - any sort of labored breathing is something that merits a trip to the vet ASAP, even if it means going to an emergency clinic. I'm glad that she's eating er chicken and rice and going potty outside, but that breathing is concerning to me.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)