Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Collie in labour. 1st pup delivered at 8pm, no issues with delivery and all healthy.

Customer Question

Collie bitch in labour. 1st pup delivered at 8pm, no issues with delivery and all healthy.
Definitely another pup at least to be born however none since (now 5hrs 20min later). Bitch has had mild contractions however no heavy straining. Panting, not shivering and not in any distress. Although despite being longer than the norm between puppies there doesn't seem to be any problems.
Bitch is a very healthy active sports dog. One previous litter, no complications.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Flyte. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Was an Xray taken beforehand, to know how many pups to expect? Panting and mild contractions show she is in labor, but if no puppy has come within an hour, I would be worried if she were mine. I would put on a sterile glove and feel for a puppy in the birth canal, and try to help it along if I feel one. If I do not feel a puppy in the birth canal, I would check her cervix to be sure it is open (probably is since she already has had 1 pup) and then I would give her an injection (oxytocin and maybe some calcium) help things along. If no puppy is born within half an hour of these injections, I would take an Xray and/or get ready for a C section. If she is contracting, even mildly, for more than an hour without having a puppy, something is not right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi,No X-ray, she was scanned at 4 weeks though. Approx 4/5 pups. I can clearly feel at least another puppy however so she certainly isn't finished.
She's had the odd push and then settled again, odd push and settled again about 3 times now.
I should add from her temp drop it was 30hrs before the first pup was born.
Can't feel a puppy in the birth canal at this stage
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
She may have a uterus that is weakening, tired of pushing. The calcium and oxytocin may be all she needs to get the rest of the puppies pushed out. However, she may end up needing a C section. I am always worried about a dog that is showing signs of labor, even what seems to be weak signs, for more than an hour without having a puppy.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is Flyte doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hi Christina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Flyte. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope all is well! Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you.