Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog vomiting clear liquid and white foamy stuff won't eat very

Customer Question

Dog vomiting clear liquid and white foamy stuff won't eat very thirsty but when we give her water she throws up liquid no foam . Hasn't eaten since 9:30am homemade chicken and white rice slept a lot today sounds like she has a cough and wheeze
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she spayed? 4- Is she on any medications? 5- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
3- Is she spayed? 4- Is she on any medications? 5- How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3 yes 4no on 5 on and off 1 week
1- How much does she weigh? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
29 lbs no other just coughing and wheezing
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when a dog is vomiting this could be a problem either in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that she is drinking more than usual suggest that it could be secondary to a systemic disease. You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The fact that she is wheezing and coughing we also need to rule out heart or lung disease. Any of the above mentioned diseases will cause her to vomit.To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), xrays and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, for the vomiting you can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Very vague but you are very knowledgable
Friend, I wish I could be more specific but without some testing it will be impossible to pin point the exact cause why she is drinking more than usual and as a result vomiting; many diseases share similar symptoms as described above. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please reply if you have additional questions.