Jerry Swetnam
Jerry Swetnam,
Experience:  Chief of Staff at Banfield Pet Hospital

This is in regards ***** ***** site I was just reading here. Lilica

Customer Question

This is in regards ***** ***** site I was just reading here. Lilica who is a mix shitzou and yorkie is scratching her top nipple quite a bit and it has turned very dark
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Name is ***** ***** she is about 3
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lilica
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lillia?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jerry Swetnam replied 5 months ago.
Hi there this is Dr. Scott. I would be glad to help. Keep in mind, any information I give is for general discussions and is not intended to replace the professional care you would get from a veterinarian actually seeing your pet. Assuming it is only her nipple, it is possible she had something irritate it and over time has gotten worse. Skin over time will turn darker if it receives chronic irritation. The initial cause may be gone, but now the tissue itself has been altered. Perhaps a topical ointment or spray with cortisone would help reduce the inflammation and the desire to scratch. If that does not work perhaps a t-shirt could keep her off of it long enough so the tissue could heal.There are many other possibilities ranging from bacterial and/or fungal infections to cancer (unlikely). To rule out those possibilities you would need to see a veterinarian so they can perform a physical and do any necessary testing.I hope this helps.Good Luck!Dr. Scott