Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Arizona beagle, 16 yrs old. Sleeps a lot, drinks a lot, frequent

Customer Question

Arizona beagle, 16 yrs old. Sleeps a lot, drinks a lot, frequent urination & urinary accidents, tremers in back legs (sometimes staggers/ falls), weeping eyes (had a brown tick infection under right eye about 6 weeks ago). Has been in declining activity level for about 18 months (after a seizure during an evening walk.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms.Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.The changes with his eye can be common with any of these as it is an indicator of general malaise but also can be related to dehydration as well. The back leg weakness can occur at his age related to muscle waste and weakness similar to a senior person that has challenges ambulating as they age with strength and why injuries are so common in people at this age, because they are higher risk of falling...As for appetite challenges: - Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible - Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with thisI hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance todayIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Rating: average plus. Sorry, but I'm a farm raised kid; only thing new to me was the suggested pepcid before meals.
I am sorry you are not satisfied with my responses. I am happy to opt out to allow another expert to give further guidance
You have to understand I have no idea who is on the other end of this conversation so have to answer as such to people with no knowledge to those with medical backgrounds
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. What questions or further information are you looking for tonight?~Dr. Sara